According to the US Census Bureau an average of 43 million people move each year. Moving can be a stressful event, especially if the move is out of state. Here are some tips to make your client's move as stress free and efficient as possible.
1. Stay away from the busy season if possible or plan ahead. The period from Memorial Day to Labor Day is the busiest time for the moving industry. Moving van lines book up fast and people often pay the premium rates during this time period. Start planning your move as early as possible, comparing quotes and booking early in order to get the best date at the best rate for your personal move.
2. Plan a garage sale or donation to charity before getting a move quote. The quotes are based on the weight of the household goods. Therefore, you will want to get rid of anything you are not moving to make it easier for estimating.
3. Designate a personal box to keep everyday things that you will need up until you leave your home or while on the road.
4. Have a back-up plan. No one likes to think about the closing on their new home being delayed but it sometimes happens. Make sure you have a back-up plan for temporary housing. Many apartment complexes offer short term, month to month, or 3 month lease periods.
Corporate housing is also a viable option for those willing to pay a little extra for convenience and amenities. These units are designed for business professionals and are typically high-end, fully furnished, and centrally located apartments or hotel suites with highly flexible rental terms. In addition many offer luxuries like laundry, housekeeping, and concierge services.
5. Pack the right way. If you are not opting to have the movers pack for you then make sure you have an organized plan for packing. Pack items from the same room together, and label all of the boxes by room. If you want to be really organized, create an inventory list of what is in the box along with a number sequence to identify it. Place the heaviest items on the bottom.
The team at Move Advocate can help your client's with these tips and others. Our Coaches are experts at making sure the move process goes well. Call today to initiate your client at 800.617.1918.
The majority of residential leases in Montreal, Quebec begin on July 1. Fixed lease dates are a legacy of 18th century Quebec. At that time Quebec followed the French laws which set May 1 as the beginning date for all legal agreements. In 1973, a new law ended any required lease date and extended all leases until July 1, 1974. However, most landlords just continued with the July 1 date.
More than 62% of people living in Montreal rent but very rarely travel too far from the area. Moving companies and truck rental firms have a difficult time meeting the moving demand in July.